The Carthusian Order
1084 St. Bruno, together with six companions, founded the first monastery in Chartreuse, near Grenoble (France).
1090 Pope Urban II calls St. Bruno to Rome as personal advisor.
Several months later, Bruno receives permission to once
more retire to solitude and establish the second monastery in Calabria
1101 Death of St. Bruno.
Guigo, the fifth prior of the Chartreuse monastery, writes the
community’s customs (Consuetudines), which becomes the first code of
laws for monasteries that want to embrace the way of life of Bruno’s
1132 Avalanche destroys first monastery. Guigo rebuilds it in its present location.
1141 First gathering of the general chapter, which henceforth has the ultimate authority in the Carthusian Order.
1403 Count Herman II of Celje establishes Pleterje Charterhouse.
1406 Building completed.
1471 Turkish attack destroys Charterhouse. Rebuilt Charterhouse resembles fortress.
Due to material and spiritual decay, Archduke Ferdinand II hands
over Pleterje Charterhouse to the Jesuits of Ljubljana.
1773 After suppression of the Jesuit Order, Pleterje becomes state property.
1839 Pleterje becomes privately owned.
1899 Carthusian Order repurchases Pleterje. Building of new Charterhouse begins.
Completion of Charterhouse’s rebuilding. November 3 Pleterje
Church consecrated to Mary, under title “Throne of The Most Holy
1943 “Partisan” communist attack destroys 17 cells by fire.